Keeping our guests and employees safe
At Merlin Entertainments our mission is to create truly memorable experiences and we place the utmost importance on the safety and wellbeing of our guests and employees.
We have introduced a range of new health and safety measures that seek to reduce the risk associated with the presence of COVID-19 that are in line with government advice and the requirements of local health authorities. To find out more, click here
Some of the measures set out below may be clearly visible to you from the moment you arrive at one of our attractions and others require consideration from guests to help ensure everyone has a magical visit.
Before you arrive
- Please make sure you have made your booking online. This includes pre-paying and selecting the date and time slot of your visit.
- Our valued Annual Pass members must also pre-book their time slot, and more information on how to do this will be available in due course. We have extended Annual Passes to ensure you can still enjoy an entire year of visiting the attraction.
- Those with pre-purchased open-dated tickets and third-party tickets must also pre-book.
- Before leaving home, please check our Facebook page or website for the latest information.
- Please be ready to make on-site payments using a ‘contactless’ bank card, rather than cash.
- Guests over the age of 11* will be required to wear a face covering/mask within any indoor space including queues, gift shops, indoor rides and indoor attractions. This advice is in line with recent updated UK Government regulations across England which will come in to place from the 8th August https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus. We are continuing to monitor this guidance closely. We encourage all our guests to help protect themselves and each other when visiting attractions.
* Children under 11 and people with certain health conditions and disabled people are exempt.
- We politely request that you refrain from visiting our aquarium should you start displaying any of the symptoms associated with COVID-19. Please contact the attraction directly should you need to amend your booking.
On arrival at the attraction
- We have significantly reduced the daily ticketed capacity of our attractions to allow for social distancing and the best possible guest experience.
- Guests will notice new information signage informing them of key safety messages and instructions.
- In addition to our employees undergoing daily non-invasive temperature checks, we may also require our guests to participate in such checks as a condition of entry. Any person who is displaying a high temperature associated with fever will not be permitted into the attraction. Please contact Guest Services should you have any concerns.
Social Distancing Measures
- We have introduced new arrangements for the application of social distancing within queues. Clear markers or signage have been installed in our attraction entry, restroom and dining queues to help guests keep a safe distance from one another. Our employees will monitor the queues to ensure that social distancing is being maintained.
- We have developed plans to allow social distancing on our rides, and our other attractions, in order to minimise contact between parties. Strategies for separating guests include empty rows and leaving empty seats between guests in ride vehicles.
- We have also introduced new arrangements for the application of social distancing in our cafe areas. Tables and chairs have been reconfigured to ensure enough distance between seated parties, and in areas where strangers are seated together, seats will be removed or blocked to ensure there is a suitable gap between guests.
- Guests viewing entertainment, in the form of live shows or theatrical scenes, will be separated from the performances and each other in accordance with social distancing requirements.
... And more social distancing!
- We have introduced new capacity limits for our indoor experiences and facilities (for example: shops, restaurants, theatres and guest service buildings). These restrictions will help ensure there is plenty of room for social distancing.
- We have adapted or suspended some experiences and facilities to ensure that social distancing is suitably maintained. For example some games, interactive experiences and play areas have either been modified or suspended to ensure guest safety.
- We have installed new hygiene screens at many of our service counters and food stalls to help physically separate guests from employees.
- We have revised some of our standard operating protocols in order to reduce the proximity of our employees to guests.
Hygiene & Disinfection measures within our attraction
- We have introduced enhanced cleaning measures throughout the day, which seek to disinfect high-frequency touch points, such as tables and chairs, service counters, flush handles, door handles, lift buttons and taps.
- We have introduced new deep cleaning measures in the event that a person presents themselves with symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
- We have introduced a large number of hygiene stations/hand sanitiser dispensers around the attraction for guests to use.
- We have introduced new Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements for a range of activities that employees routinely perform. These include face masks, disposable gloves, eye protection and hand sanitiser. The use of such equipment and clothing by our employees is both to protect them and our guests.
...And some more hygiene & disinfection measures
- Attractions which have cafe facilities may have reduced menus which place a greater emphasis on ‘Grab & Go’ options. Cutlery and condiments will now be provided to guests with their meal, or on request, rather than left in open areas.
- As with our employees, we politely request that all our guests uphold the highest possible hygiene standards – whether it be when sneezing or coughing, through regular hand washing or the frequent application of hand sanitiser.
- Our employees now participate in COVID-19 specific training programmes instructing them how to stay safe as well as how to keep our guests safe.